Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Why should I go to college?

This is a serious question that I've been dealing with a lot lately.

Being in my late teens everybody assumes I'm going to be in college fairly soon, and when I say I don't plan to go to college it's a shock to people! They try to argue with me, and tell me that I have to go to college.  I need a serious answer here; why should I go to college?  Saying that I don't know what I'd go to college for doesn't help.

If your answer is one of the following, then I don't want or need to hear it, because I've heard it before:
"To get a good job!" Define good.
"Everybody should go to college." Why?
"Well, what are you going to do, if you don't go to college?" Whatever I want!
"You don't need to know what you want to do, you can always change your major!" While wasting thousands of dollars and/or getting more and more debt to be paid off later?
"It'll be easier to get a job if you have a college degree."  What kind of job?  Maybe I don't want a job that requires a college degree.

My problem with going to college is that I don't know what I'd go for.  I want to be a blogger, and an author, neither of which require a degree.  It's a waste of my time and money going to college for something I don't really want to do.  Honestly, I'm sure I'd love college! It just doesn't sound like it's worth the time/money if I'm just going to be a blogger/author anyway.  If I really want to I can always go to college later.

Let's look some of the things I plan to do while my friends are in college:
Thru-hike the AT.
Have a job, other than blogging.
Write a book.
Blog.
Road trip the USA, and visit all the National Parks in the states.

The thing is, I can easily do all that, and more, in the four years that my friends will be in college.

Not wanting to college doesn't limit my life, in fact, I believe that it opens up more possibilities.  By thinking outside the box, and wanting to do things that aren't considered "normal", I am making it possible to do more exciting, and interesting things with my life.  How many people will wish they had taken four years to travel before going to college?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a comment not related to this post specifically then send me an email at blackrosetravels5678@gmail.com. Your questions/comments might even end up as a future post!